Can Alaskan Malamutes Eat Chocolate?

No, Alaskan Malamutes, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. It contains theobromine, a substance which can be toxic for dogs.

Even small amounts can lead to poisoning. Symptoms can range from vomiting and diarrhea to seizures, irregular heart rhythm, or even death in severe cases.

If your Alaskan Malamute ingests chocolate, take them to a vet immediately. It’s always better to prevent access to chocolate altogether to avoid any potential harm.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Alaskan Malamutes shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Alaskan Malamutes’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Alaskan Malamutes’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Alaskan Malamutes have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Alaskan Malamutes’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Alaskan Malamutes eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Alaskan Malamutes less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Alaskan Malamutes to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Alaskan Malamutes to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Alaskan Malamutes. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top