Can Belgian Malinois Eat Chocolate?

Belgian Malinois, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that can be toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of chocolate can cause problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, and even seizures in dogs.

In high quantities, it can be lethal. The darker and more concentrated the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. If your Belgian Malinois ingests chocolate, contact a veterinarian immediately.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Belgian Malinois shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Belgian Malinois’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Belgian Malinois’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Belgian Malinois have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Belgian Malinois’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Belgian Malinois eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Belgian Malinois less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Belgian Malinois to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Belgian Malinois to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Belgian Malinois. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.

 

Related:

[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top