Can Bichons Frises Eat Chocolate?

No, Bichons Frises, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs.

Bichons Frises can suffer from symptoms such as restlessness, increased heart rate, and even seizures if they ingest chocolate. In severe cases, chocolate consumption can be fatal.

Therefore, it’s important to keep chocolate out of reach from your Bichon Frise and consult a veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has eaten any chocolate.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Bichons Frises shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Bichons Frises’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Bichons Frises’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Bichons Frises have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Bichons Frises’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

Potential Effects Of Theobromine

When Bichons Frises eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Bichons Frises less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Bichons Frises to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

You should contact your trusted veterinarian immediately if your dog is suspected to have eaten chocolate.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Bichons Frises. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top