Can Boykin Spaniels Eat Chocolate?

No, Boykin Spaniels, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains substances toxic to dogs: theobromine and caffeine. Consuming chocolate can lead to theobromine poisoning, which can be fatal for dogs.

Severity of poisoning can vary according to the type and quantity of chocolate consumed, and the size of the breed. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs can include restlessness, increased urination, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and, in severe cases, death.

If you suspect your Boykin Spaniel has ingested chocolate, contact a veterinarian immediate for advice. Always keep chocolate out of reach of your dog and educate all family member not to share it with pets.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Boykin Spaniels shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Boykin Spaniels’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Boykin Spaniels’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Boykin Spaniels have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Boykin Spaniels’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Boykin Spaniels eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Boykin Spaniels less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Boykin Spaniels to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

You should contact your trusted veterinarian immediately if your dog is suspected to have eaten chocolate.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Boykin Spaniels. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top