Can Brittanys Eat Chocolate?

No, Brittanys, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolates contain theobromine, a substance that can be toxic for dogs. Small amounts can result in chocolate poisoning leading to serious health problems.

Even in the smallest quantities, chocolates can cause vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, and increased heart rate in dogs. In worst cases, it can lead to seizures, heart failure and even death. Always keep chocolate away from dogs and seek immediate veterinary help if they consume it accidentally.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Brittanys shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Brittanys’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Brittanys’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Brittanys have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Brittanys’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Brittanys eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Brittanys less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Brittanys to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Brittanys to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Brittanys. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top