Can Brussels Griffons Eat Chocolate?

No, Brussels Griffons cannot eat chocolate. Like all dogs, Brussels Griffons can’t break down theobromine, a substance found in chocolate. This can lead to chocolate toxicity, which can be fatal.

If your Brussels Griffon ingests chocolate, it can lead to symptoms like restlessness, rapid breathing, and seizures. Immediate medical attention is crucial to combat these symptoms and give your pet the best chance at a full recovery.

As a general rule, it’s recommended to keep all chocolate and treats containing chocolate out of your pet’s reach. Instead, provide canine-specific snacks that can contribute to your Brussels Griffon’s overall health and well-being.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Brussels Griffons shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Brussels Griffons’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Brussels Griffons’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Brussels Griffons have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Brussels Griffons’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Brussels Griffons eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Brussels Griffons, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Brussels Griffons to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Brussels Griffons to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Brussels Griffons. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top