Straight up, the answer is no, Bull Terriers shouldn’t really have chocolate!
This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Bull Terriers’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).
Theobromine also affects a Bull Terriers’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Bull Terriers have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.
This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Bull Terriers’ body, making it harmful for them.
Potential Effects Of Theobromine
When Bull Terriers eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!
Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?
According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Bull Terriers less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.
Symptoms You Should Look Out For
When suspecting Bull Terriers to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.
My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?
The first thing you should always do when you suspect Bull Terriers to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.
While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.
For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Bull Terriers. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.