Last Updated on January 1, 2023 by Becky Roberts
Fruits can be a healthy and nutritious snack for dogs. All fruits are not equal, though, when it comes to their safety. Some fruits could be dangerous for dogs because of abrasive rinds or toxic compounds that are found in some.
If you are a dog owner, you’ve probably wondered what foods dogs can and can’t eat. We are here to help. Here is everything you need to know about mangos and how to safely feed them to your pooch.
Is Mango Safe for Dogs?
Mangos are safe for dogs to eat. They are one of the best fruit options, too, because of their robust assortment of essential nutrients. Before serving your dog a dish with mango, make sure to wash the fruit of any pesticides or herbicides and separating the flesh from the pit and skin.
When it comes to presentation, smaller dogs should receive the tiniest possible pieces. While the flesh of the mango is soft, this proactive measure can minimize the chance of choking. If you have any questions or concerns about how to serve mango to your canine, feel free to contact your local veterinarian.
Can Dogs Eat Mango-Related Products?
The odds are you enjoy your mango straight or with a fruit salad. It is also possible to have dried mango or as a flavoring agent to salad or salsa. In these scenarios, your dog will still be able to enjoy mango-adjacent foods.
The key is moderation, depending on the type of food. For instance, dried mangos concentrate levels of sugar in the fruit, making it is easier to feed your dog too much sugar, even if you are keeping a watchful eye on the quantity they are consuming.
In addition to a tangy tropical flavor, mangos come with a long list of potential health benefits. For starters, it is a food with low calories and free of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. It also has more than 20 vitamins and minerals, in addition to whopping amounts of vitamin C and vitamin A.
Having high levels of Vitamin A and C, for instance, is a reliable way to boost your dog’s immune system. These vitamins are essential when it comes to the production of white blood cells. There is also research from Oregon State University, suggesting they can also limit the risk of infections.
These powerhouses are also what will keep your dog’s skin and hair looking lush and vibrant all year. Vitamin A is a primary component of epithelial tissue development, which includes hair and skin, and helps retain overall moisture. Meanwhile, a dog’s body needs vitamin C to produce collagen, which provides the skin with elasticity instead of wrinkles.
A moderate amount of mango can also facilitate regular bowel movements and minimize the risk of constipation. Mangos are an excellent source of isolated fiber, which can also improve digestive health. Of course, too much fiber can lead to diarrhea, gas, or bloating, so do not forget moderation.
While there are many other benefits, mangos are worthwhile because of their benefits for eye health. The antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin protect the retina and increase visual ranges. They also fight free radicals that can otherwise cause cataracts and macular degeneration.
The health drawbacks are relatively small when it comes to eating mango. For instance, the mango skin is edible, but it can be challenging for some dogs to digest. Therefore, for the sake of simplicity, you should remove as much of the mango skin as possible.
The pit can also be a choking hazard for dogs of all sizes. If they manage to swallow the pit, your four-legged friend may end up in a critical state. The silver lining is that the center of the mango is not poisonous to dogs.
Another downside is that while a mango comes loaded with vitamins and minerals, it has a boatload of sugar. A single cup or 165 grams of mango has 23 grams of sugar. That’s nearly two tablespoons. If you don’t brush your dogs’ teeth regularly after eating sugary foods, the presence of fructose can eat away at the enamel and create cavities and tooth decay. If your dog has dental issues, its time to consider pet insurance that covers dental as well.
Summing It Up
While mangos may not be the most common fruit in your household, they can be a fan favorite amongst dogs. The soft flesh and vitamin-rich insides make for a treat that is nutritious and easy to eat.
Even though mangos are non-toxic and safe to eat, though, it is essential to keep moderation in mind. One of the rules dog owners can use the 90/10 guideline. The idea is that 90 percent of a dog’s diet should be traditional wet or dry food, with the remaining 10 percent going to other types of treats, such as mangos, pineapples, or other fruits and vegetables.
Related: Can Dogs Eat Cucumbers?