Last Updated on March 18, 2023 by Becky Roberts
The summer is the height of the fresh fruit season. During this time, you may get the itch to share a bit of your peach or cantaloupe with your four-legged friend. But just because these foods are safe for human consumption does not mean they are necessarily equally safe for canines. Here is everything you need to know to make an educated decision about feeding peaches to your dog.
Are Peaches Safe for Dogs?
Peaches are safe for dogs to eat. The juicy and nutritious fruit is a healthy alternative to traditional snacks and treats. The key is to wash the skin first of pesticides for chemicals before removing the stem, leaves, and the pit.
Dogs can safely eat most fruits, including apples, bananas, and pears. Of course, there are a some fruits that are unsafe for dogs, such as avocados and cherries. Most dogs have no problem with fruit because they are natural, unprocessed, and relatively easy to chew.
When it comes to feeding your dog peaches or other snacks, keep in mind the 90/10 rule. This guideline suggests that 90 percent of your pet’s diet should be made up of traditional wet or dry foods. The remaining 10 percent can be snacks, treats, and, in this case, peaches.
Can Dogs Eat Peach-Related Products?
Peaches come in many forms. You can have peach pie, canned peaches, peach yogurt, peach cobbler, peaches and cream salad, and the list goes on indefinitely. The point is that the fruit is versatile. Your canine should be able to enjoy peaches in these recipes, as well.
It is worth noting that some dogs have complications with dairy, while studies show that overeating sugar can spike glucose levels. According to BMC Veterinary Research, 17 percent of canines have a reported reaction to dairy products, which makes it the second most common food allergen among dogs. Given that, you should steer clear of serving your four-legged friend peach yogurt if they have a dairy intolerance.
Few calories. High nutrients. Plenty of antioxidants. That is the modus operandi for peaches. A single serving of peaches can be a significant source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, niacin, and other minerals for your pooch. They also come with their fair share of health benefits.
For instance, peaches have equal parts of soluble and insoluble fiber. This component is what aids indigestion. The soluble fiber is beneficial to gut bacteria as they breakdown foods. Insoluble fiber, on the other hand, adds mass to the stool sample while moving the matter through the gut and mitigating constipation.
Studies show that eating peaches is also a way to improve heart health. That’s because peaches can bind with bile acids that start in your liver. After the binds form, the dog’s body excretes them, which can help lower blood cholesterol levels. Similarly, studies on animals show peaches can reduce “bad” cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure and triglycerides.
Other potential benefits connected to peaches could merit an article by itself. For the sake of brevity, dogs may also experience better skin, immunity, and overall wellbeing as a result of eating peaches. There may also be lowered risks of cancer and allergic reactions.
There are few negatives when it comes to serving dogs peaches. The most glaring risk is the choking hazard that comes with the pit. If you are feeding Fido a raw peach, it is ideal to remove the center of the fruit before handing it over to them,
Additionally, peaches are high in natural sugars, which means moderation is key. A large peach weighing approximately 6 ounces or 175 grams has 14.7 grams of sugar. That is the same as four teaspoons or enough to fill the palm of a cupped hand.
Sugar is not inherently harmful. Similar to humans, it can be problematic for dogs when consumed in excess, though. In this case, letting your dog have too many peaches can lead to an upset stomach, weight gain, and even diabetes.
While many of those symptoms manifest themselves as long-term problems, dog owners should be vigilant about sugar because of the risk of cavities. Bacteria in the mouth will break down the sugar, which creates acids that wear away at the enamel and coating of the teeth. Unless you regularly brush your dog’s teeth, exposure to sugary snacks can end up causing tooth decay and other dental issues.
Summing It Up
Peaches are one of the best fruits you can give your dog as a treat. As a nutritious and delicious snack, they come with a load of vitamins and minerals and are not non-toxic to canines. Who knows—your canine might even prefer the fruity flesh of peach to a traditional snack or dental chew.
Related: Can Dogs Eat Mango?