Can Dogs Have Chocolate?

If you’re one of the people who haven’t had a pet dog all your life, then you’re probably just as confused as anyone as to why chocolate is deemed bad for dogs.

But what is in chocolate that gives it this reputation? Are there signs of chocolate intake? Is it applicable to all types of chocolate? Is there such thing as chocolate poisoning?

Well, this may be all answered by reading through today’s blog.

In this feature, we’re going to cover quite a wide ground relating to chocolate intake for dogs, and why its dangers can even lead to poisoning and death for our four-legged friends.

Let’s get right into it!

pitbull mix dog

Can Dogs Have Chocolate?

Starting off with the matter at hand, chocolates have a reputation for being potentially dangerous to dogs.

Why, you ask?

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a dog’s digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine). Theobromine also affects a dog’s central nervous system, kidneys, and even heart! Dogs have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans. This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a dog’s body, making it harmful for them.

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When your dog intakes this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine can result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects your dog less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting your dog to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first you should always do when you suspect your dog to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately. While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for your dog. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.

The Wrap Up

And there we have it! We hope this feature was able to answer some pending queries you have regarding the effects of chocolate on your dog. Of course, as responsible pet owners, we can always rely on proper diet, rewards system, and exercise to make sure our dogs stay in tip-top shape! Just remember to always be mindful of what your dog eats and you should turn out fine.

Becky Roberts

Becky Roberts

One of Becky's favourite things to do every morning is to browse the top pet-related forums, looking for issues and questions that people have. She then shortlists the most common ones, and turns them into blog posts for Fuzzy Rescue. She's had over 4 cats and 2 dogs over the past decade, so she does know a thing or 2 about raising/training, and more importantly, loving them. She's the only one on our team that doesn't like coffee, but it seems to us she really doesn't need more energy :). We're very fortunate to have her on board as she does most of the heavy listing for the site, outputting an insane amount of content each month. Read More

Related Posts

Scroll to Top