Can English Setters Eat Chocolate?

No, English Setters, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which are harmful to dogs.

Theobromine can cause muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding, and even heart attack. Caffeine is also dangerous for dogs, bringing about a variety symptoms such as restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitations, tremors, and bleeding.

Additionally, darker chocolates are more dangerous because they contain higher levels of theobromine and caffeine. If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate, please consult a vet immediately.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, English Setters shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a English Setters’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a English Setters’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! English Setters have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a English Setters’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When English Setters eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects English Setters less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting English Setters to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect English Setters to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for English Setters. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top