Can Lagotti Romagnoli Eat Chocolate?

No, Lagotto Romagnoli dogs, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. It is harmful to them because it contains a substance called theobromine which can be toxic for dogs.

Theobromine affects the central nervous system and cardiovascular system of a dog. Symptoms of theobromine poisoning can range from vomiting and diarrhea to seizures, irregular heart rhythm, and even death in severe cases.

If a dog has ingested chocolate, immediate veterinary attention is necessary. Prevention is key in this situation, so always store chocolate in a place that your dog can’t reach.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Lagotti Romagnoli shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Lagotti Romagnoli’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Lagotti Romagnoli’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Lagotti Romagnoli have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Lagotti Romagnoli’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

Potential Effects Of Theobromine

When Lagotti Romagnoli eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Lagotti Romagnoli, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Lagotti Romagnoli to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Lagotti Romagnoli. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top