Can Leonbergers Eat Chocolate?

No, Leonbergers, like all other dog breeds, cannot eat chocolate. Chocolates contain theobromine, a stimulating substance that dogs cannot metabolize as humans do.

Hence, this substance can accumulate in your dog’s system causing theobromine poisoning. The symptoms can include restlessness, increased urination, tremors, irregular heartbeat and can be fatal.

Therefore, it is strongly advised not to give your Leonberger or any dog chocolate. In case they have already consumed chocolate against your knowledge, contact your vet immediately.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Leonbergers shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Leonbergers’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Leonbergers’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Leonbergers have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Leonbergers’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Leonbergers eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Leonbergers, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Leonbergers to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Leonbergers. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top