Can Neapolitan Mastiffs Eat Chocolate?

No, Neapolitan Mastiffs cannot eat chocolate. Chocolate is harmful to many breeds of dogs, including Neapolitan Mastiffs. This is due to the substance theobromine, which is found in chocolate and is toxic to dogs.

Consumption of chocolate can lead to theobromine poisoning in these animals, a condition that can cause a number of severe symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, seizures, and in extreme cases, death. Therefore, all forms of chocolate should be kept out of reach of your Neapolitan Mastiff and other pets as well.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Neapolitan Mastiffs shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Neapolitan Mastiffs’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Neapolitan Mastiffs’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Neapolitan Mastiffs have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Neapolitan Mastiffs’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

Potential Effects Of Theobromine

When Neapolitan Mastiffs eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Neapolitan Mastiffs, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Neapolitan Mastiffs to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Neapolitan Mastiffs to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Neapolitan Mastiffs. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top