Can Newfoundlands Eat Chocolate?

No, Newfoundlands, just like any other dog breed, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine which is highly toxic to dogs. Even small quantities of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs, and in large amounts, it can lead to muscle tremors, seizures, internal bleeding, heart attack, and even death.

The danger is even more prominent for larger breeds like the Newfoundland because the larger the dog, the more they need to eat—which in this scenario can lead to them ingesting large quantities of chocolate without their owner noticing. So, it is best to keep chocolate far away from your dog’s reach.

It’s a good idea to educate household members, especially children, about the dangers of feeding chocolate and other harmful substances to dogs. Instead of chocolate, treat your dog to healthier, dog-safe alternatives like dog biscuits or specially prepared dog snacks.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Newfoundlands shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Newfoundlands’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Newfoundlands’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Newfoundlands have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Newfoundlands’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Newfoundlands eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects Newfoundlands less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Newfoundlands to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Newfoundlands. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top