Can Old English Sheepdogs Eat Chocolate?

No, Old English Sheepdogs should not eat chocolate. Chocolate is toxic to dogs as it contains theobromine, a substance they cannot metabolize effectively.

Even a small amount can lead to symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate and seizures. In severe cases, it can be fatal.

Therefore, always ensure that your Old English Sheepdog doesn’t have access to chocolate, and if an accidental ingestion occurs, seek veterinary attention immediately.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Old English Sheepdogs shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Old English Sheepdogs’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Old English Sheepdogs’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Old English Sheepdogs have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Old English Sheepdogs’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

Potential Effects Of Theobromine

When Old English Sheepdogs eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Old English Sheepdogs, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Old English Sheepdogs to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

You should contact your trusted veterinarian immediately if your dog is suspected to have eaten chocolate.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Old English Sheepdogs. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top