Can Pekingese Eat Chocolate?

No, Pekingese dogs cannot eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that is harmful to dogs.

Even in small amounts, chocolate can lead to toxic symptoms in dogs. This may include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, and seizures.

In severe cases, chocolate consumption can be fatal to dogs. If your Pekingese has consumed chocolate, contact a vet immediately. Always keep chocolate out of your pet’s reach to avoid any risks.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Pekingese shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Pekingese’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Pekingese’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Pekingese have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Pekingese’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

Potential Effects Of Theobromine

When Pekingese eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Pekingese, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Pekingese to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Pekingese to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Pekingese. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top