Straight up, the answer is no, Pembroke Welsh Corgis shouldn’t really have chocolate!
This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Pembroke Welsh Corgis’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).
Theobromine also affects a Pembroke Welsh Corgis’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Pembroke Welsh Corgis have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.
This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Pembroke Welsh Corgis’ body, making it harmful for them.
Potential Effects Of Theobromine
When Pembroke Welsh Corgis eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!
Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?
Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Pembroke Welsh Corgis, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.
Symptoms You Should Look Out For
When suspecting Pembroke Welsh Corgis to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.
My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?
You should contact your trusted veterinarian immediately if your dog is suspected to have eaten chocolate.
While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.
For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Pembroke Welsh Corgis. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.