Can Scottish Terriers Eat Chocolate?

No, Scottish Terriers cannot eat chocolate. This is because chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that can be lethal to dogs.

Theobromine cannot be metabolized by dogs as efficiently as humans can, leading to toxic build-up. Depending on the size, breed, and health condition of the dog, the effects of theobromine can range from mild discomfort to life-threatening.

The darker the chocolate, the higher the concentration of theobromine, meaning that a small amount of dark chocolate is more harmful than larger amounts of milk chocolate. To be safe, avoid giving your dog any type of chocolate.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Scottish Terriers shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Scottish Terriers’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Scottish Terriers’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Scottish Terriers have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Scottish Terriers’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Scottish Terriers eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Scottish Terriers, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Scottish Terriers to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect Scottish Terriers to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Scottish Terriers. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top