Can Shetland Sheepdogs Eat Chocolate?

No, Shetland Sheepdogs cannot eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant that is toxic to dogs and can cause harm or even be fatal.

The theobromine affects the dog’s central nervous system and cardiovascular system. The effects can range from vomiting and diarrhea to seizures, irregular heartbeat, or even death.

If your Shetland Sheepdog ingests chocolate, even in a small amount, it is strongly recommended to seek immediate veterinary attention. The quicker the dog gets treated, the better it should respond to treatment.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, Shetland Sheepdogs shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Shetland Sheepdogs’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a Shetland Sheepdogs’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Shetland Sheepdogs have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Shetland Sheepdogs’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When Shetland Sheepdogs eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Shetland Sheepdogs, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting Shetland Sheepdogs to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

You should contact your trusted veterinarian immediately if your dog is suspected to have eaten chocolate.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Shetland Sheepdogs. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top