Can St. Bernards Eat Chocolate?

No, St. Bernards, like all other dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant that dogs cannot metabolize effectively. This can lead to theobromine poisoning, which can cause heart problems, muscle tremors, seizures, and death in severe cases.

If your St. Bernard has ingested a large quantity of chocolate, it’s important to get them to a vet immediately. Even smaller amounts can cause problems, so it’s best to avoid giving chocolate to your pet altogether. Instead, opt for dog-safe treats and foods.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, St. Bernards shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a St. Bernards’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a St. Bernards’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! St. Bernards have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a St. Bernards’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

Potential Effects Of Theobromine

When St. Bernards eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

According to studies, dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocolates tend to be much more dangerous for your pet. Milk chocolate affects St. Bernards less but can be equally dangerous when eaten in great amounts.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting St. Bernards to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

The first thing you should always do when you suspect St. Bernards to have eaten chocolate is to contact your trusted veterinarian immediately.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for St. Bernards. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top