Can West Highland White Terriers Eat Chocolate?

No, West Highland White Terriers, like all dogs, should not eat chocolate. Chocolate contains a component called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs.

Theobromine cannot be adequately metabolized by dogs, leading to poisoning. This can result in severe symptoms such as restlessness, rapid breathing, muscle tremors, seizures and can even lead to death in severe cases.

So, make sure to keep your pet away from chocolate and seek veterinary assistance immediately if your pet ingests chocolate accidentally.

Last Updated on September 20, 2023

Straight up, the answer is no, West Highland White Terriers shouldn’t really have chocolate!

This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a West Highland White Terriers’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).

Theobromine also affects a West Highland White Terriers’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! West Highland White Terriers have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.

This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a West Highland White Terriers’ body, making it harmful for them.

Dog eating chocolate

The Other Effects Of Theobromine

When West Highland White Terriers eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!

Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?

Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to West Highland White Terriers, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.

Symptoms You Should Look Out For

When suspecting West Highland White Terriers to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.

My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.

While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.

For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for West Highland White Terriers. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.



[page-generator-pro-related-links group_id=”8526″ post_type=”post” post_status=”publish” output_type=”list_links_bullet” limit=”5″ columns=”1″ delimiter=”, ” link_title=”%title%” link_anchor_title=”%title%” link_display_order=”link_title” link_display_alignment=”vertical” orderby=”name” order=”asc”]

Related Posts

Scroll to Top