Straight up, the answer is no, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons shouldn’t really have chocolate!
This is because chocolates have certain components that don’t blend too well with a Wirehaired Pointing Griffons’ digestive system, such as theobromine (which is somewhat like a sort of caffeine).
Theobromine also affects a Wirehaired Pointing Griffons’ central nervous system, kidneys, and even the heart! Wirehaired Pointing Griffons have a hard time metabolizing this substance, unlike humans.
This means that this toxic component has a tendency to build up in a Wirehaired Pointing Griffons’ body, making it harmful for them.
The Other Effects Of Theobromine
When Wirehaired Pointing Griffons eat this sweet snack, high doses of theobromine might result in seizures, muscle tremors, vomiting, internal bleeding, and even heart attack!
Are All Chocolate Types Dangerous?
Studies show that dark chocolate and bitter-tasting chocos are more dangerous to pets. Although milk chocolate is less harmful to Wirehaired Pointing Griffons, it can still be dangerous if consumed in large quantities.
Symptoms You Should Look Out For
When suspecting Wirehaired Pointing Griffons to have eaten any type of chocolate or potential poisoning, you can always look out for clinical signs like hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, restlessness, increased urination, and an abnormal heart rate. These symptoms tend to appear within the first 6 to 12 hours upon excessive intake.
My Dog Ate Chocolate. What Should I Do?
If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
While you can always consider your dog’s size and type, it’s best to leave care and potential treatment to the professionals.
For light cases, vets usually rely on the vomiting method for Wirehaired Pointing Griffons. Depending on how serious the case is, supplemental treatment can also be the way to go.