Last Updated on February 4, 2021 by Becky Roberts
Purina wasn’t really Purina at first. Its first name was Robinson-Danforth Commission Company. It was founded by William H. Danforth in 1894.
Robinson-Danforth became the first company in the world to offer animal feed and was famously known as “chow”. Come 1902, Dr. Ralston, a nutritionist specialist, allied with Purina to make whole-grain breakfast cereals.
And what do you know? It clicked! Because of its success, the company officially changed its name to Purina, inspired by their slogan at the time: “Where purity is supreme”.
It was also at this time when Purina’s red and white square logo became official. It was inspired by a fond memory of William Danforth from childhood.
From then on, Purina was acquired by many more companies. Until 2001, Ralston Purina was bought by Nestlé. The two businesses merged under the Purina brand and continue to provide high-quality pet products.
Currently, Nestlé Purina has 22 state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities located in North America. Their headquarters is located in St. Louis.
Best Purina Pro Plan Dog Food Reviews
1. Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food & Wet Dog Food
Give your dog Purina Pro Plan Salmon and Rice Formula and say goodbye to days of itchy skin and stomach upsets.
This best-selling formula is made with real, high-quality salmon that’s naturally rich in omega-3 fatty acids and features easily digested carbohydrates like rice and oatmeal.
Each delicious kibble is fortified with live probiotics and contains natural prebiotic fiber to support a healthy digestive system and a strong immune system.
Satisfaction guaranteed you’ll be glad you switched to this formula. The omega-6 fatty acids from sunflower oil and omega-3 from fish oil will boost your pal’s overall quality of life. The omega-3 will be good for her joints, and the omega-6 for her skin and coat condition.
This recipe has no corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, colors, or poultry by-product meals.
Discover for yourself why many pet owners have switched to Purina Pro Plan.
This recipe is grain-inclusive.
- Easily digestible dog food
- Specially formulated for dogs with sensitive skin and stomach.
- Compatible with small breeds
- Made from real salmon meat
- With live probiotics and prebiotic fiber for digestive health
- Has omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy joints, skin, coat, and immune health
- No corn, wheat, or soy
- Contains no artificial flavors, colors, or poultry by-product meals.
2. Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics Shredded Blend High Protein, Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken & Rice
Treat your dog to a delicious yet nutritious dog food formula with Purina Pro Plan Chicken and Rice Recipe.
This dog food is a complete and balanced meal packed with essential vitamins and minerals he needs to stay healthy and active.
This protein-rich formula boasts to using real poultry meat as the first ingredient and was created to have the optimal ratio of fat and protein to help him stay in shape. The omega-6 fatty acids will give his skin and coat that shiny and smooth look.
He will also love the combination of tender meaty morsels and crunchy kibble this recipe provides. Best of all, this recipe is enhanced with probiotics to promote a healthy digestive system and a strong immune system.
This recipe is grain-inclusive and contains poultry by-product meals.
- Highly digestible
- A complete and balanced meal
- Made with real chicken meat
- With omega-6 fatty acids and essential vitamins and minerals
- Fortified with live probiotics for a healthy digestion
- A combination of crunchy kibble and tender meaty morsels for texture
Also related: Best Dog Food
3. Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics Shredded Blend High Protein, Digestive Health Adult Dry Dog Food
Give your best boy the dog food he deserves with this Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend that’s available in 2 different flavors.
This formula is a premium dog food made only with the highest quality ingredients for your pup’s optimum health.
It’s made with real lamb and beef meat with an easily digested source of carbohydrates that’s gentle on his tummy. It also has omega-6 fatty acids and other vitamins to help him maintain a healthy physique.
Furthermore, the certified presence of probiotics ensures his immunity and digestive health are in top condition. And the best part? All of this comes in a tasty mix of crunchy and tender kibbles.
This formula is grain-inclusive and contains poultry by-products.
- Available in 2 flavors (Beef & Rice, Lamb & Rice)
- Made with real beef and lamb meat
- Has omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
- Certified to include live probiotics that support a healthy immune system and digestive health.
- Comes in a mix of crunchy kibble and shredded pieces of meat for added taste and texture
4. Purina Pro Plan Sport, Energy & Vitality Support, High Protein Dry Dog Food
The dog food for champions, for all ages.
Whether you want your dog to stand out in a competition or just needs a formula that meets his high energy needs – Purina Pro Plan Sport is for you.
Whatever your pal’s energy needs are, this all-life stages formula can support him.
The Performance 30/20 is perfect for dog show participants, canine athletes, or dogs who are competing in hunting tests.
Active 26/16, on the other hand, are for dogs who are naturally active and loves to participate in sports.
You can also choose from 5 different flavors such as grain-free chicken, salmon, or beef – talk about options!
Rest assured, this formula is made from real beef, lamb, salmon, and poultry meats. It has glucosamine and EPA – an essential amino acid for dogs – to support healthy joints and allow the muscles to recover, especially after exercise.
It also contains omega-6 fatty acids for a dog show-worthy skin and coat. Plus, every Pro Plan Sport formula is enhanced with probiotics for a healthy digestive system.
The minerals in this recipe, however, doesn’t appear to be chelated.
- 3 different protein and fat ratio options (Performance 30/20, Active 26/16, Active 26/17)
- Available in 5 flavors (Grain-free chicken, Chicken, Salmon, Chicken with no wheat, soy, or corn, Beef)
- Made with real salmon, beef, and poultry meats
- Contains glucosamine and EPA for healthy joints and muscles
- With omega-6 fatty acids that support healthy skin and coat
- Fortified with live probiotics for digestive health and immune system
5. Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics, Weight Control Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
Show how much you love your pooch by giving him this delicious yet very nutritious recipe from Purina Pro Plan.
This super-premium formula was crafted to meet the nutritional requirements of small breeds. It contains calcium to support strong bones and teeth and protein to fuel their energy.
More and more small breed owners have sworn to this protein-rich recipe because of the amazing results they’ve seen in their dogs.
The omega-6 fatty acids found in this recipe will also help your dog get a healthier and shinier coat.
The added probiotics will give him a stronger immune system and improve his digestion. The kibbles are bite-sized paired with small shredded meats made from real chicken meat.
See the difference for yourself now.
This recipe is grain-inclusive.
- Specially made for small breeds
- 100% complete and balanced meal
- Made with real chicken meat
- Comes in smaller sized kibbles with small shredded pieces of meat
- With live probiotics for digestive and immune health
- Contains natural prebiotic fiber
- Has omega-6 fatty acids and other vitamins and minerals for your dog’s overall health
Also related: Best Dog Food for Small Dogs
6. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed & Giant Breed Adult Dry Dog Food & Wet Dog Food
Hearty dog food for our equally big-hearted buddies. This Purina Pro Plan recipe is exclusively crafted to provide large breeds with their nutritional needs.
This premium dog food contains a precise blend of 26% of protein from real chicken and 12% of fat to help your buddy maintain the ideal weight and body condition.
With the addition of glucosamine and EPA, an essential omega-3 fatty acid, you can rest easy knowing your pup is protected from future joint problems.
You will also notice improvements in his skin and coat because of omega-6 fatty acids.
It also has live probiotics added to support his digestive and immune health. Undoubtedly, your buddy will lick his food bowl clean.
- Specially formulated for large and giant breeds
- Available in 2 flavors (Chicken for large breeds, Giant Breed Chicken)
- Made with real chicken meat
- With glucosamine and EPA for joint health
- Contains the optimum amount of protein and fat for a healthy weight and body condition
- With omega-3 and 6 fatty acids
- Enhanced with live probiotics for the immune system and digestive health
Also related: Best Large Breed Dog Food
7. Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oat Adult Dry Dog Food
Let your best pal feel your tender loving care by giving him Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Oat Recipe.
This super-premium dog food uses carefully selected ingredients to provide your dog a 100% complete and balanced recipe. It features real lamb meat and oatmeal, making it easily digestible and gentle on the stomach.
The omega-6 fatty acids from sunflower oil will also help your dog achieve a softer, better-looking coat – a sign he is getting the nutrients he needs.
Furthermore, the live probiotics and natural prebiotic fiber present will be good for his immune system and digestive system.
His improved overall resistance against common illnesses will be evident when you give Purina Pro Plan to him. Try it out now.
This formula is free from corn, wheat, or soy.
- Easily digestible formula perfect for sensitive dogs
- Made from real lamb meat
- Rich in omega-3 and 6 fatty acids and other essential vitamins for healthier skin and coat and mobility
- Enriched with live probiotics and prebiotic fiber for a better digestive system and immune system
- Free of corn, wheat, and soy
8. Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken with Shreds
Need your dog to lose some of her weight? Start your dog’s weight loss journey with Purina Pro Plan Weight Management.
This exclusive formula will still make him full without gaining weight or needing to cut back on portions.
Compared to other Pro Plan formulas, this premium dog food contains 15% less fat. It’s specially formulated to have the most suitable ratio of protein and fat.
This will help him maintain muscle mass while shedding all the extra pounds.
This recipe is also rich in omega-6, vitamin A, natural prebiotic fibers, good bacteria, and other vitamins and minerals for his overall health.
Warning: Keep the bag in a secured place because he will wolf down everything in his bowl and want more!
- Weight loss dog food
- Contains 15% less fat compared to other Purina Pro Plan formulas
- Made with real chicken meat
- Comes in a combination of shredded meat and crunchy kibble for texture and taste
- Rich in omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for healthier skin and coat
- Has vitamin A plus other vitamins and minerals
- With natural prebiotic fibers for digestive health
- Enhanced with live probiotics to support a strong immune system and digestive system
Also related: Best Dog Food for Weight Loss
9. Purina Pro Plan Small Breed & Toy Breed Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Make every bite count with Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Formula. This protein-rich dog food promises great results for pets and pet owners alike.
Save trips to the vet because your dog will benefit from a high-quality dog food such as Purina Pro Plan.
The omega-6 fatty acids will give his skin and coat that healthy glow. It also has calcium and phosphorus – essential minerals for small breeds – to maintain strong bones and teeth.
Thanks to the live probiotics added, this recipe instantly becomes a thousand times better because it’s gentle on the stomach and boosts their immune system.
The kibbles are also in small, bite-sizes designed to remove plaque build-up. See the results for yourself when you switch to this formula.
This is a grain-inclusive recipe. However, a grain-free option is available for dogs who can’t take grains.
- For small and toy breeds
- Comes in small, bite-sized kibbles
- Made with real chicken meat
- Contains omega-6 fatty acids for healthier skin and coat
- With calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals for stronger teeth and bones
- Reduces plaque build-up because of the hard and crunchy kibble
- With probiotics for immune health and digestive function
- Also available in lamb and grain-free chicken
Also related: Best Grain-free Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Ingredients Analysis
Chicken is considered to be a quality item. However, it contains about 73% water. This means that after cooking, most of the moisture is lost.
After processing, the chicken would probably account for a smaller part of the total content.
Rice is generally a good source of carbohydrates and easily digested when cooked.
In this case, it’s not specified whether it’s brown rice, white rice, or whole-grain rice, making it difficult to judge the quality of the ingredient.
The addition of wheat is seldom found in premium dog foods because of its modest nutritional value and price. Be that as it may, wheat is still a good source of carbohydrates.
Like wheat, corn is also an inexpensive cereal grain. Aside from it’s a good source of carbohydrates, corn is only of modest nutritional value to dogs.
According to AKC (American Kennel Club), oatmeal is rich in B vitamins, linoleic acid, and soluble fiber that helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Fish oil is considered to be a great addition to any dog food formula. It’s naturally rich in EPA and DHA types of omega-3 fatty acids.
These two high-quality fats have the highest bio-availability to dogs and humans.
Sunflower oil is rich in omega-6 fatty acids that help improve dogs’ skin and coat.
Other benefits include: maintaining a healthy reproductive system, promote a strong immune system, and increase palatability and taste of dog food.
Beef fat is considered to be a quality ingredient. It’s acquired from rendering meat, a similar process to making soup where the fat is skimmed from the surface.
Fish meal is another protein-rich meat concentrate. It’s acquired from undecomposed whole fish or fish cuts from commercial fish operations.
Soybean meal is the by-product of soybean oil production commonly found in animal feeds. It has a lower biological value than meat, but it does contain about 48% of protein.
Corn gluten meal is the rubbery residue left once the starchy carbohydrate from corn is washed out. It contains 60% protein but has a lower biological value compared to meat.
Glycerin is a natural sweetener and humectant used in the food industry to preserve the moisture content of the product.
Dried fermentation products are usually added to add enzymes that aid in the digestion process.
Dried egg product is a dehydrated form of shell-free eggs. They are easy to digest and has a remarkably high biological value.
Depending on where they come from, quality can vary significantly. Lower-grade egg products can come from eggs that failed to hatch.
Garlic oil is a controversial item in dog food formulas. Although many favor the ingredient for its health benefits (when given in moderation), garlic has been linked to causing Heinz body anemia in dogs.
Pet owners should weigh the benefits and risks when giving formulas that include garlic. But for the most part, garlic oil is mostly located far down the list.
Poultry by-product is the dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It can include organs, feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs, and almost any other thing other than the prime cuts.
Conversely, by-product meals are meat concentrates that have 300% more protein than fresh poultry.
Menadione is a controversial form of vitamin K because it has been linked to liver toxicity, allergies, and abnormal breakdown of red blood cells in animals.
Purina Pro Plan Recall History
Purina definitely has had its share of recalls in the past. However, not all of them involve Purina Pro Plan in particular. The following are their recent recalls:
March 2016: Purina voluntarily recalled various Pro Plan Savory Meals (limited to Braised Chicken Entrée, Braised Pork Entrée, Braised Turkey Entrée, Grilled Salmon Entrée, Braised Beef & Rice Entrée) and Beneful because of inadequate vitamins and minerals.
August 2013: The FDA recalled Purina ONE Beyond Our White Meat Chicken & Whole Barley Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food because of possible salmonella risk.
May 2012: The FDA recalled Purina Veterinary Diets OM Overweight Management canned cat food because of possible low levels of thiamine.
July 2011: Purina voluntarily recalled Purina ONE Vibrant Maturity 7+ dry cat food because of possible salmonella risk.
June 2011: Purina voluntarily recalled Purina Cat Chow Naturals in 6.3 lb. because of possible salmonella.
Final Verdict: Is Purina Pro Plan Good for Dogs?
Purina Pro Plan is a good brand to feed your dogs with. In fact, Purina Pro Plan is one of the first brands veterinarians recommend to pet parents.
It’s a super-premium dog food featuring real meats and grains that are gentle for their digestive system. If your pet has no problem with grains, then Purina Pro Plan is a must-try.
Although there are also grain-free options and other specially formulated recipes for dogs with special needs.
The only downside for some of their recipes is that their minerals are not chelated. This means that these minerals are more difficult to absorb and would likely be wasted in stools. Review the list above for the recipes that don’t have chelated minerals.
You may also read our other reviews of Purina dog food here.
Purina Pro Plan is a highly recommended dog food.